Sunday 14 August 2011

Smear tests being binned, reveal Newsnight

Cervical screenings for under 25s are being binned before being tested for abnormal and pre-cancerous cells.

Women under the age of 25 are not able to have cervical screenings due to legislation imposed by the Department of Health in 2003. But there are many young women at a higher risk of cervical cancer whose GP's feel it necessary for them to be tested.

ITV's Dr Chris Steele has found out, though, that once the sample reaches the laboratory the government instructions are to bin those from women who were too young.

More than 700 rests sent to labs in 2010 for analysis were ignored.

Dr Chris took the story to BBC's Newsnight who investigated the scandal.


Metro Radio news also covered the story, as did People news.

What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I think this is unfair. I'm 23 and have 2 boys who I would not want to leave. There are problems on my mums side of the family which may cause concern for myself. I say the government need to stop thinking of other countries and think of there own for once

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have ad problems and I ad a letter sayin i was turning 25 soon so wud need book a smear! At an appointment wit problems i was havin i asked if i could av my smear and tild them bout my letter and they refused at first wit bein 2 wks before 25! In the end the did it it came bk at severve abnormalities and cin 3 I'm now waiting for my results from a 6 months check up! i think ppl fighting for this to b changed r amasin and keep up the good work x x

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? What's your experience? Leave us your thoughts.