Saturday 6 August 2011

Interview with TV's Dr Chris Steele

Dr Chris Steele has been at the forefront of many medical-related campaigns, not least of which is the campaign to get the age of cervical screenings lowered.


He's a celebrity GP who's been the 'resident' doctor of ITV's This Morning since 1988 and was awarded with an MBE in 2008.

He says his privileged position means he can make a difference and this means a lot to him.

The decision made in 2003 to lower the age of screenings angered him and he's been fighting ever since to change it back.

Dr Chris' campaign links:

We met up with Dr Chris to chat about his feelings about the age of cervical screenings

Listen below for the full interview clips.


*Click 'Read More' on the left or HERE to listen*




What do you think about the decision that was made in 2004?


What do you think are the problems with this decision?




What about the evidence the Committee based their decision on?




So if you disagree with the evidence, why do you think they made the decision?


Why do you think they decided to review the age in the first place?


The Committee also argue though that cases in under 25s are so rare.


So for you it's not just about statistics?


What kinds of things are happening across the country in reaction against this?


When did you become involved in campaigning?


What is your ideal outcome?


Are you confident that you can these goals?



Interview by Rachel Wood.



1 comment:

  1. I believe that all women should be screened and not to be embarrased about it, what would be worse knowing early on and a little embrassment because someone seeing you "down there" or traumatic knowlege of terminal cancer. I prefer the embarassment and i endured the embarassment since the age of 17 I myself insisted on having smears do to family coincidence involving uterine and cervical problems.
    I was requested for a smear I was scared since i'd been having a lot of problems, bleeding after sex, pain all which was abnormal suffering with depression I thought to myself I dont want to know let it happen. It took my friends 12 months after my smear request for me to make the appointment.
    I waited and waited but my results didnt come and then i waited some more 4 months from my screening I recieve a letter telling me there was abnormal cells and a hospital appointment was made.
    More scrapings were done with dyes and many doctors assessing the areas shown imagine a big opticians eye scope between your legs, they discussed and agreed the pain i was in from the adjusting and readjusting of the instruments they could not make the biopsy that day.
    The pain came from the fact id lived with it too long it hurt so much the tissues damaged.
    Well i was booked for a surgical appointment for a biopsy, offered me pain meds before i went down i declined no need for the most pain i live with, I woke up to find they removed over half of my cervix and given instructions of sctrict bed rest for 6 weeks, as not to destroy what tissues were left by additional scarring.
    I was told my ability to get pregnant will be reduced do to the amount they removed and scarring left.
    I did get pregnant bled several times during the pregnancy, even my waters broke at 32 weeks but that was dismissed said it was impossible my cervix wasnt dialating, i listened and went home. My daughter was delivered by c section at 39 weeks for other reasons, after several water leakings i now understand that my cervix wont dialate either because of scarring or other damage. I will never be able to deliver a baby naturally. If i waited for a natural birth I may have died because of this, if i wasnt so stupid in my decision to ignore my smears the problems i had may well have been avoided.

    I reccomend all women get your smears better now the emmbarrasment be well or wait for worse to happen.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? What's your experience? Leave us your thoughts.