Sunday 20 May 2012

Our first proper walk since training began

On Friday we went up to the Lake District to put our training so far to the test, so here goes.......We got up Saturday morning, the weather was overcast but dry :-) Had a delicious full Cumbrian breakfast to give us a good start to the day. We did originally have a walk round Ulleswater Lake planned, now it's quite a very long walk, and poor Clive has had "man flu!" all week, we thought it best to change the plan! So we did two walks over the day totaling approx. 8 miles. The first walk was around Aira Waterfalls, which I have to say are pretty amazing. It was only about 2 miles, but there was quite a bit of climbing. There were some very steep steps, 100 to be exact!! The woman on the National Trust Van assured us that there was bench at the top where we could sit and get our breath back, there was no bench!! But the view was well worth the effort. After climbing back down and giving poor Clive several heart attacks, as I am not the most safest person on steps, (as some of you know, I broke my foot a few years ago, falling down a step about an inch high, and it was in a wine shop) we made it safely to the bottom. Next we went to Grassmere.

In Grassmere we've always done a walk to Easedale Tarn, now the last time we did this was a few years ago, it's approx. 6 miles and around 750 feet. That doesn't sound very much, but it is a very steep 750, and very rocky. It was also very water logged after all the rain we have had lately, I don't understand how this country has a drought, they need to take a walk up Easedale Tarn! So of course it was like playing stepping stones all the way up, poor Clive having to guide me over them trying not to fall off, so you will be pleased to hear that I made it to the top without getting my feet wet :-) but guess what as I reached the top, there was a big squelch and an OH S***, yes in went my foot, it was that wet it went right over my boots. Clive just looks at me shakes his head and laughs, I mean a walk with me is not complete without me getting very wet or muddy. On the way up we only had to stop 2 times. I was very proud of myself and Clive. Once at the top we had a lovely picnic by the Tarn. After we had been fed and watered we both felt refreshed and ready to go again, so instead of walking back down the way we came up, we walked on a bit further around the Tarn and back down the other side. Now I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but going up is a lot easier than going back down, how I never broke my leg I do not know! Once we were back down, we went to Baldry's coffee shop for little reward.









On Sunday morning, we woke up and felt fine until we tried to move, oh dear!!! We ached, so to try and loosen those muscles we did a small walk from Ellterwater to Chesters Coffee Shop. Now this is the best coffee shop I have ever been to, their cakes are the best I have ever tasted and are huge. Then it was off home :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? What's your experience? Leave us your thoughts.